Mile2 Cybersecurity Certifications

OCU C)ISSO D Discussion Lesson 09

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Jessica Jagerson
      Keymaster

In reviewing the challenges of different topologies, choose two types of topologies and discuss how a security officer could work with these challenges so that they minimally affect the company.

Marcena Davis
      Participant

Week 3 Lesson 9:
      In reviewing the challenges of different topologies, choose two types of topologies and discuss how a security officer could work with these challenges so that they minimally affect the company.

Two types of network topologies that present unique challenges for security officers are the mesh topology and the ring topology.

In a mesh topology, each node is connected to every other node, creating multiple redundant paths for data. This redundancy can make it difficult to monitor and control network traffic, particularly in the event of an attack or breach. To mitigate this challenge, security officers can implement network segmentation, which involves dividing the network into smaller, more manageable segments. This allows for better control and monitoring of traffic flow, as well as limiting the scope of any potential breach.

Another strategy for addressing the challenges of a mesh topology is to implement access controls, such as firewalls, to regulate traffic between different segments of the network. This can help prevent unauthorized access and reduce the risk of a breach spreading throughout the entire network.

In a ring topology, data is transmitted in a circular pattern, with each node receiving and forwarding data to the next node in the ring. While this topology can be efficient, it presents a risk of network failure if any single node in the ring fails. To mitigate this risk, security officers can implement redundant links and backup devices, which can automatically take over in the event of a failure. Regular testing and maintenance can also help ensure that these measures are functioning properly and minimize the risk of network downtime.

Security officers can work with the challenges of mesh and ring topologies by implementing network segmentation, access controls, redundant links, backup devices, and regular testing. It is important for security officers to regularly assess the network and implement appropriate measures to minimize security risks. By taking these steps, security officers can help ensure the security and reliability of the network, while minimizing the impact of any potential breaches or failures on the company.

Kelly Crooks
        Participant

When star topology is used all the computers are connected to a central device which provides more resilience to the network. Star topology is the most common form of network topology. Star topology is common and convenient because all the terminals on the network are connected by one central device. This makes it easy to add terminals or make changes to existing terminals because the entire network doesn’t have to be shut down. If changes are needed on one terminal the remaining terminals on the system can function normally. One main downside of using star topology is that if the main hub goes down the rest of the network cant function. A security officer can mitigate downtime, data loss, and breach by making sure the proper backup systems and protocols are in place and tested regularly. Another way to help mitigate data loss if the main hub goes down is to make sure that only those individuals who are authorized and with the correct credentials are working on restoring the system and making the repairs.

In a ring topology, all the computers are connected in a circular format. Each computer will have two “neighbors” that they share data with. The computers are all connected by a unidirectional transmission link and the cable is in a closed loop. One downside of using a ring topology is that if one computer experiences a problem, all the other computers on the ring can be affected negatively. A security officer can help to mitigate data loss by making sure the correct backup devices and protocols are in place. The backup devices can be on-site, off-site, or even cloud-based devices. Another way that a security officer can help to mitigate loss is by using dual concentric rings. By using dual rings one terminal can fail while allowing the rest of the terminals to function properly.

Kevin Mehok
          Participant

Kelly,

Great topologies choices. I remember studying both mech and ring topologies in one of our prior classes together. I remember mesh by meshing it to one core device. I remember ring topology by the circular connection.

Your post was fantastic and perhaps me favorite part of your post was the reminder that mesh topologies do require credentials when trying to perform a restore. I value in your advice to test regularly should not be taken lightly.

God Bless,

Kevin

Marcena Davis
          Participant

I certainly agree that star topology is the most common form of network topology, and it’s common and convenient because all the terminals are connected to a central device, making it easy to add or make changes to existing terminals. However, one major downside of using star topology is that if the main hub goes down, the entire network is affected. As you suggested, a security officer can mitigate the risk of downtime, data loss, and breach by ensuring that the proper backup systems and protocols are in place and tested regularly. Additionally, it’s crucial to ensure that only authorized individuals with the correct credentials are working on restoring the system and making the repairs.

Kelly Crooks
          Participant

Marcena, great choice on your topologies. I do remember a couple of these from an earlier class. It was interesting to me to understand a little bit more about each one and how they work. I didn’t realize there were so many of them. I agree with what you said about a security officer using network segmentation to mitigate loss. Having those protocols and policies in place helps to make sure that if there is data loss it can be easily restored and the amount of data lost or stolen is very minimal.

Kevin Mehok
        Participant

Marcena,

I really liked your challenge perspective on segmentation, redundancies via links, and the need for regular testing. I do not think that it gets anymore challenging than that, so awesome job. In today’s world, networking needs to be highly automated to keep manual time crushing processes out of the way.

It is great to be read your posts again.

God Bless,

Kevin

Kevin Mehok
      Participant

IST3100 Information Systems Security Officer
      Week Three
      Assignment #2
      WK3 Topology Discussion
      Kevin Mehok

Hey Class,

First of all let’s review, “What is Network Topology”? Network Topology to me describes the physical and even the logical layout of one’s network. It is all about the nodes and how we move our data around, right?

Two keep things super simple and to be effective, I have opted to discuss:
      Physical Topology
      and
      Logical Topology

How did you guess?

Starting with ‘Physical Topology’ this to me can be described as the actual layout of devices within a network. Objects that you and I can physically touch.

The second one is ‘Logical Topology’ which can be described as the method for which data travels through the network.

Think of things this way, the roads are the ‘physical network’ whereas the vehicles are the logical networks that carry the data, but through the roadways.

I am a huge Tron fan, so understand the dataverse world but getting through via the physical world is actually more simple than it sounds.

That’s all I’ve got.

God Bless,

Kevin

Marcena Davis
        Participant

Simply stated.
        Physical topology is all about the actual layout of devices within a network that you can physically touch. It’s important to understand the physical topology of a network as it can impact the network’s overall performance and reliability.

Logical topology, on the other hand, is all about the method for which data travels through the network. It’s like the vehicles that carry the data on the roads of the physical network.

I love your analogy of Tron and the dataverse world! It’s a great way to visualize the flow of data through a network. Understanding both the physical and logical topology of a network is crucial for any security officer or IT professional to ensure the smooth functioning and security of the network.

Kanthony
      Participant

Remember to reply to at least 2 students. Also, put references for your work. Follow the instructions carefully. You can do this.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

SUPPORT

Please Note:

The support ticket system is for technical questions and post-sale issues.

If you have pre-sale questions please use our chat feature or email information@mile2.com .