Reply To: OCU C)ISSO D Discussion Lesson 13

Kevin Mehok
Participant

IST3100 Information Systems Security Officer
Week Four
WK4 SDLC Discussion
Kevin Mehok

This week’s discussion focusing on the ask of ‘why is using an SDLC important?’
I believe that the SDLC is important because it helps ensure that the right people are involved in the right activities at the right times (Coursera, 2023). A well-defined SDLC also allows an Security Officer (SO) to measure their progress relative to team goals and gives them a way to ensure everything is on track (Coursera, 2023).

I have learned this week that the process of the software development life cycle encompasses all aspects of the software-making process (Coursera, 2023). It begins with scoping the requirements Security Officers need for their program and ends with he or she delivering it and managing maintenance protocols (Coursera, 2023). Each stage in the SDLC has its own set of activities that need to be performed by the team members involved in the development project (Coursera, 2023).

Let’s discuss two approaches that we can implement with our current teams or future teams. First, let’s discuss the Waterfall model. Waterfall model. This model remains one of software development’s most popular process models (Coursera, 2023). The approach has stood the test of time and has been used since the 1970s (Coursera, 2023). The Waterfall model is a sequential design process that moves in a straight line from one phase to the next (Coursera, 2023).

Developers use this approach when the requirements for a product are well-defined and resources are available. However, this model performs inconsistently when requirements change frequently.

Secondly, let’s discuss that Agile model. This software development process aims to deliver high-quality software early, often, and at a low cost (Coursera, 2023). Agile methods prioritize working software over comprehensive pre-planning and documentation, which can slow the creative process (Coursera, 2023). It is a modern approach with short phases that works well when software requirements are likely to emerge as the development process begins (Coursera, 2023). I love this model and I have used it several times at the work place.

The Agile model offers more flexibility than the Waterfall model, but it is not always suitable for large-scale projects with complex requirements because it lacks initial documentation (Coursera, 2023). Keep in mind when planning that the size of the task has been determined prior to using this model.

That’s all I’ve got.

God Bless,

Kevin

References:

https://www.coursera.org/articles/software-development-life-cycle

SUPPORT

Please Note:

The support ticket system is for technical questions and post-sale issues.

If you have pre-sale questions please use our chat feature or email information@mile2.com .