Mile2 Cybersecurity Certifications

Reply To: OCU C)ISSO D Discussion Lesson 18

Kelly Crooks
Participant

A security officer’s duties not only include protecting the organization’s data and thwarting cyber attacks, it is also making sure the proper fire and safety policies and procedures are in place. Making sure the organization complies with local city and state fire regulations is important but there are other things as a security officer that can be implemented.

One thing is to make sure that every person that works in the physical location knows and understands the fire plan and procedure. Make sure that the route is clear and well-marked. Making sure that everyone knows what to do in case of a fire will make sure that no one is injured or dies in a fire.

Making sure that all potential items or situations that could cause a fire are dealt with promptly. Make routine inspections of problematic areas in the location. Taking care of those issues before it’s too late will help to ensure that a fire doesn’t happen.

Make sure you have the correct fire suppression system installed and that it works properly. Not only overhead sprinkler systems and fire extinguishers but chemical suppression as well. I remember going into the server room with my brother when he worked in the IT department at our local university. The room had its separate fire suppression system installed and could be activated remotely and independently from the rest of the suppression system in the building.

Regular practices and drills will help make sure everyone is on the same page and understands what to do in the case of a fire. A security officer needs to make sure that local first responders have the current and updated information for the organization and that the organization has the correct first responder information as well.

The last thing I think that a security officer can implement is making sure the work environment is clean, safe, and secure. A security officer needs to walk the grounds of the property and make sure that not only the inside structure is maintained properly but the outside as well.

SUPPORT

Please Note:

The support ticket system is for technical questions and post-sale issues.

If you have pre-sale questions please use our chat feature or email information@mile2.com .