Mile2 Cybersecurity Certifications

OCU C)HT D Discussion Lesson 04

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Manny Varela
      Keymaster

Explain the differences between read-only memory and random access memory.

Mjulius513
      Participant

Read-only memory (ROM) and Random Access Memory (RAM) are two fundamental types of memory in computing systems, each serving a distinct purpose. ROM is a non-volatile memory, which means it retains its data even when the power is turned off. It is used to store firmware, which is the software that boots up the system. RAM, on the other hand, is a volatile memory, losing its data when the power is switched off. It’s used for storing the data and programs that a computer is currently using, allowing for quick access and manipulation. While ROM is read-only, as the name suggests, and contains unchangeable data, RAM allows both reading and writing operations and contains data that is constantly being changed and updated as the system operates. This makes RAM much faster, but it also means that it requires a constant power supply to maintain its data, unlike ROM.

Matt McShane
        Participant

This was a great explanation of the differences between ROM and RAM memory. I learned a lot more from the different ideas given here and understand which is which

Jacob Mannon
      Participant

The biggest difference in ROM and RAM is that one is permanent whereas the other is temporary. ROM (Read Only Memory) is permanent and does not change unless you perform a firmware upgrade. The ROM is what allows your computer to start up and perform its initial boot functions. The RAM (Random Access Memory) is only available while the computer is on and active. Once the computer is shut off the RAM resets. RAM reminds me of the movie 50 First Dates, where Drew Barrymore loses her memory every time she goes to sleep. RAM functions the same way. RAM is also more easily modified and customizable in that if you have the right set up you can change to variations of DDR (Double Data Rate) which basically increases data communicated per clock cycle.

Mjulius513
        Participant

Hi, The movie “50 First Dates” provides an analogy for understanding temporary random-access memory. In the movie, Lucy has short-term memory loss, forgetting each day as it passes, like how temporary RAM holds data that is lost when the power is turned off. Just as Henry creates new memories with Lucy each day, RAM allows a computer to process the latest information with each session. This comparison illustrates the location where it is a crucial component for storing data that a system must access quickly and efficiently.

Matt McShane
      Participant

Lesson 4 mentions 2 different types of memory: ROM (read only memory) and RAM (random access memory). ROM is the memory, non-volatile, where once plugged into the system, it will never get be modified. Most likely needs an upgrade when it runs into issues within the boot of the system. Every time I go to boot up my system, I have a .5 second time frame to open my BIOS settings in the motherboard, and if booted properly, will show the settings in my system. RAM is much more different where it writes and reads operations in the system. As our system continues to update and change throughout the versions, the RAM changes along with. The main backside to this is where this requires more power to operate this memory whereas the power in running the ROM is more slow and less used.

Jacob Mannon
        Participant

I liked your explanation of ROM and RAM. I would like to mention that in the lesson it did discuss that ROM could be upgraded but any power failing issues during the upgrade process had the potential to leave the device unusable.

Victoria Rollins
      Participant

Differences between Read-Only Memory (ROM) and Random Access Memory (RAM)
      ROM (Read-Only Memory) is a form of permanent storage. It contains instructions or data that are permanently written during manufacturing and cannot be altered or modified afterward. Even without electricity, the data stored in ROM remains intact. It doesn’t require power to retain information. ROM holds critical instructions needed for booting up the computer, such as the initial firmware. It also stores software instructions for devices like printers. Users cannot change the data stored in ROM.
      RAM (Random Access Memory) is volatile memory, meaning it temporarily stores data while your computer is running. When you shut down or restart your computer, the data in RAM is erased. RAM relies on an electric current to hold data. When there’s no power, the data disappears .RAM stores files and data that your computer is currently using. Each time you switch between programs or pages, the information is instantly available from RAM. Volatile memory can be easily changed, upgraded, or expanded by users. ROM provides permanent instructions for your computer, while RAM serves as temporary working memory for active tasks. ROM is non-volatile, and RAM is volatile, making them essential components with distinct roles in a computer system.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

SUPPORT

Please Note:

The support ticket system is for technical questions and post-sale issues.

If you have pre-sale questions please use our chat feature or email information@mile2.com .